(Sri Lankan & Kerala varieties)
Cinnamon, obtained from the inner bark of trees in the Cinnamomum genus is an aromatic spice with distinct spicy taste. It is also inherent with numerous health benefits. The two main types of cinnamon available in open market are Ceylon cinnamon and Cassia/Chinese cinnamon. The level of Coumarin, a naturally occurring blood thinning substance that affects the proper functioning of liver and kidneys is present in cinnamon. Considering Coumarin levels, Ceylon cinnamon is considered to be more safe and potent to be included in regular diet than Cassia cinnamon.
Difference between Ceylon Cinnamon and Cassia Cinnamon
|Ceylon Cinnamon/Sri Lankan True Cinnamon||
Cassia Cinnamon/Chinese Cinnamon
Originated in Sri Lanka.It is a rare genus. Now the same variety, true cinnamon is widely grown in Kerala(India).
Originated in China, Vietnam and Indonesia. It is cheaply available.
Ceylon cinnamon is four times costlier than Cassia/Chinese cinnamon as it is enriched with many health benefits rather than merely adding taste to foods.
No known health benefits but can be harmful to health.
Its bark is thin and in nice texture to roll around
Appears in many layers in between rough outer layer, smooth layer and smoother inner most layer
Light brown or tan brown colour
Dark reddish colour
Safe for regular use due to the presence of naturally occurring blood thinning substance called Coumarin’s content is less(0.0004%)
Not recommended for daily use as the high content of Coumarin (5%) might cause defects to proper functioning of liver and kidneys.
Possess soft and brittle form, easy to break into pieces
In hard form, difficult to break into small pieces
Have delicate sweet flavour that are good for adding taste and aroma to pastries, cakes and desserts
Pungent and strong aroma suitable for meat recipes
We had gone through many queries from our regular buyers regarding the genuineness and authenticity of our Ceylon Cinnamon.On this context, we’d like to clarify all with true facts since we are always obliged to your persisting support that paved way for our vision to promote organic products.
1)Is this true Sri Lankan origin Cinnamon quills ?
Yes, we are selling true Sri Lankan Cinnamon quills, directly imported from Sri Lanka.
2) From where do you source Sri Lankan Cinnamon?
We source Ceylon Cinnamon from the coastal belt region of Negombo, Kalutara and Ratnapura in Sri Lanka.We import Ceylon Cinnamon through Tuticorin port in Tamil Nadu.
3) Do you have any proof to claim that you have received true Sri Lankan/Ceylon Cinnamon for selling?
Yes, we possess the certificate of origin issued by Government of Sri Lanka and we have uploaded it for public scrutiny.
4) Why is your Cinnamon products seem costlier compared to similar products in online sites?
True Quality imported Ceylon Cinnamon is four times costlier to cheaply available Cassia/Chinese cinnamon. As we sell only genuine product under our brand, we make you available the best quality Cinnamon like M4/M5/H1 varieties. Thus the price of our cinnamon quills/stick is little bit higher than that of other ordinary brands.
5) Cassia Cinnamon is banned across the country. Then how could other brands sell Cassia Cinnamon in Indian market?
Cassia is banned in India, but the fact is that, it is still widely available in the market at cheap rate. But people started to recognize the difference, as all are health conscious nowadays. We are not the only seller of true Ceylon Cinnamon in Amazon. Other Kerala brands like Keya, Sprig etc are also selling true Ceylon Cinnamon. But we offer you the best price in the market for Ceylon cinnamon products.
6) Cinnamon that we bought from the local market had strong aroma/flavor. But why does your product does not have much flavor/aroma?
True Ceylon Cinnamon has subtle taste with light sweetness, thus it adds mild flavor to foods. You might have purchased Cassia Cinnamon instead of pure Ceylon cinnamon.
7) Is your cinnamon powder authentic and made from true Ceylon Cinnamon?
Yes, ours is 100% genuine product .We never sell cassia /Chinese cinnamon under any form as it is against our business ethics
We sell two types of cinnamon powders.
- Ceylon cinnamon powder, made from no. 1 cinnamon quelling of Ceylon cinnamon stick.
- Kerala cinnamon powder, made from Kerala cinnamon
8) Is your cinnamon quills/powder organic certified?
LAW India is an ethical and sustainable brand, so we promote only natural and organic products. Cinnamon sold under our brand is directly imported from Sri Lanka. It’s organically grown and we have source certification as well.
9) Is Ceylon cinnamon grown only in Sri Lanka?
Sri Lanka is the place of origin of this unique variety of Cinnamon and that’s the reason why they have branded it as theirs. But now the same variety of Cinnamon Tree could be seen in Kerala too. In the hilly Western Ghats region of Kerala, cinnamon trees are grown even in every household but not yet commercially tapped.
10) During my last visit to Sri Lanka I got true Ceylon cinnamon stick from there. I’m so sure that yours is not authentic and you are cheating your regular buyers like us.
No Sir, There are different grades of cinnamon available based on their texture, quality and length of cinnamon quills. World’s best cinnamon quills are known as ALBA variety, which is long like pencil sticks with 3-5 times higher price than H1 variety. Other grades like continental, Mexican (M) and Hamburg (H) are also sold across the globe as best quality cinnamon. Each grade has its own specialty. World’s most popular grades like H1, M4/M5 is sold under our brand and is graded as best quality and economical as well.
11) When I visited Kerala last time, I bought cinnamon stick from a spice store. The seller claimed it as true cinnamon. When I purchased your Cinnamon, it seemed much different from the previously bought true cinnamon.
It is widely grown in every farm plots in Kerala, but it is not yet commercially cultivated or processed. The farmers cut the inner bark with country knife and hence their peeled skins look shapeless. But the quality of Kerala cinnamon is equal to or even better than Ceylon Cinnamon. We sell Kerala cinnamon and its powder online and you would get it on Amazon and other e-market platforms as well.
12) You are supposed to sell only ‘desi’ products. Then why you are promoting imported products under your brand?
You are absolutely right. We are selling and promoting only desi products; Ceylon cinnamon is an exception. But so far, Kerala Cinnamon’s many health benefits and nutritional values are still unknown to people and making them aware of this is time consuming. While selling imported Ceylon Cinnamon, we are trying to make our buyers aware about the nutritional benefits of Kerala Cinnamon and to promote it.
13) Why don’t you sell best-graded cinnamon like ALBA?
In India, Cinnamon is widely used in cuisines, Ayurvedic preparations and for medicinal purposes. That is why we sell the popular grades like H1, M4 and M5 via online. Grades like ALBA are too costly that is, even 20gm of ALBA costs Rs. 250/- – 300/-. Moreover, ALBA variety or other highly priced grades are mainly sold online as gifts or to be used by star hotels and they are not feasible for daily consumption. We can sell grade ALBA based on demand and we will send it directly.
14) Is Kerala cinnamon similar to Sri Lankan Cinnamon?
Both of them are of same variety and same species. Geography, climate and soil structure are almost same both in Kerala and Sri Lanka. Nowadays our fair trade farmers started supplying Kerala cinnamon to EU countries, especially Germany, Italy, UK and Sweden, as now they are widely demanding Kerala cinnamon.
15) What are the other Cinnamon products sold in LAW, India?
We sell Cinnamon Powder, (both Kerala and Sri Lankan varieties) cinnamon bark oil, dry cinnamon leaves, cinnamon leaves powder, cinnamon chips and cinnamon tea bag.
16) We bought dry cinnamon leaves/bay leaves from LAW and felt it has mild aroma and taste compared to market available bay leaves?
Hazardous Cassia leaves are sold widely as cinnamon leaves because their appearance is almost similar. Cassia leaves are flavor-rich and has a strong aroma than true cinnamon leaves.
17) Is it possible to grow the same variety of Ceylon cinnamon in Kerala?
Yes, Ceylon cinnamon or Sri Lankan cinnamon is also grown in Kerala. During British rule, they made cinnamon plantations in Kerala and later the ownership of those cinnamon plantations in Kerala was handed over to Government of Kerala and private individuals. Kerala’s climate and soil are best suited for the production of this true variety of Cinnamon and that’s why world’s largest cinnamon plantation is at Anjarakandy in Kannur District, Kerala.
18) How do you peel cinnamon skin and make the quills?
Cinnamon tree is grown and nurtured for about 2 years, and then the farmers cut down the bush to the size of its stump. After a short time, dozens of small shoots spring up from the stump. The shoots are allowed to mature and thicken to about two inches in diameter. After that, the green outer bark is shaved off and the inner bark is struck evenly and bruised until it is released from the heart of the wood. This inner bark is removed in the form of large sheets, cut into strips, and sun-dried to let them curl naturally to make cinnamon quills. After getting a sufficient tan, the quills attain their real form and are ready to be sold in the market.
19)What are the grades of cinnamon stick that you are selling currently?
We mainly sell popular grades like Humburg (H1) and Mexican series(M4& M5). These are the popular grades of cinnamon sold in India. H1 grade cinnamon sticks diameter size is 21-23 millimeters and it’s in golden brown colour. We are selling two different types of Mexican grade, M4 & M5 varieties that are widely popular in this grade. M5 Sticks are relatively rough texture with golden brown/slightly reddish color, and thinner in appearance. Our M4 Cinnamon grade is relatively rough sticks with reddish-brown/Golden brown colour.M4 grade is very similar in appearance to the M5 Cinnamon grade. The diameter size of the M4 grade is 18-20 millimeters and it possesses good smell and sweet taste. We also supply ALBA varieties on demand.
- We directly source organically grown Ceylon cinnamon from Sri Lanka
- Sourced from the best organic farmers who have a credible track record
- Only indigenous varieties are sourced. No genetically modified or hybrid products are sold
- Sourced in small batches so that our buyers get freshly harvested spices
- We sell only Humburg (H1) and Mexican Grade (M4 & M5) grade, popular grades all over world. ALBA variety also available on demand.
- We are happy to share genuine source certification details from Sri Lanka.
- Our cinnamon are free from pesticides, fertilizers and are produced using only traditional farming techniques
- We don’t sell oil extracted / polished / artificial color added cinnamon. Its natural qualities are kept intact in raw form
- Due to the rampant problem of adulteration in spice powders, we produce our cinnamon powder in-house itself
- We adopt only eco-friendly, non-plastic packing. We use tin or glass bottle to sell spices/powders