Thayir Sadam, Dahi Bhat, Dahi Chawal, Mosaranna, Yoghurt Rice…In India, Curd Rice is known by different names in different regions. After all what is in a name as long as it delivers what it promises to do! In all these places, Curd Rice is a common dish in their daily diet but certainly not for their taste alone. A Bowl of Curd Rice they consider as the perfect unison of health and flavours so all most in every Indian House Holds in India, it is lovingly served to give a happy ending to a meal.
What is Curd Rice & What makes it special?
Essentially Curd Rice is just plain yogurt mixed with white rice and a pinch or two of salt. It sounds so simple but the list of benefits your body can reap with this healthy meal runs quite long. From promoting healthy digestion to helping in losing weight, Curd Rice provides multitudinous health benefits and here we are highlighting a few of them and will also share a tried and tested recipe for preparing this comfort food at the comfort of your home.
A Bowl of Health Benefits
- Cools the Body: Eating Curd Rice after a hot meal helps to cool the stomach. That is why eating curd rice during summers can be extremely beneficial for our health. It helps to bring down the body temperature.
- Nutrient Rich:It merges the health benefits of both the rice and curd. Rice contains potassium, iron, carbohydrate, magnesium, fibre, vitamin B etc. On the other hand, the probiotic rich curd gives us a lot of protein, antioxidants, and calcium. So, this nutritious recipe is good for your overall wellness.
- Aids Digestion: The probiotics in curdpromotes the growth of healthy gut microorganisms and bacteria and thus provides relief from abdominal pain and constipation. It is one of best home remediesknown to treat an upset stomach, easy to digest and prevents indigestion and bloating
- Enhances your Mood: Curd contains a lot of anti-oxidants and essential fat which can reduce your stress and anxiety that persists in your brain. So consuming curd rice can make your brain function better.
- Acts as a Brain Food:An essential amino acid present in curd namely Tryptophan is the building block of a chemical called Serotonin which plays a vital role in improving concentration and learning skills toboosting memory and stress management. That’s why just eating Curd Rice makes us feel happy, emotionally stable, less anxious, more tranquil and even more focused and energetic.
- Improves immunity:The probiotics in curd helps improve immunity and makes the body capable of fighting diseases.
- Relieves Stomach Pain:Rice is a good source of magnesium and potassium, which helps reduce stomach cramps and pain related to premenstrual cramps as well
- Aids Weight Loss:Curd rice has the ability to fill your stomach and keep you away from unhealthy snacking. It also has negligible calories.
Here’s a Quick & Easy Curd Rice Recipe
Easy to cook and finger licking good, this lovely recipe is a delightful union of all things desi like rice, curd and a bunch of rustic spices.
- Curd: ½ bowl
- Oil: 1 tsp
- Cooked Rice: 1 bowl
- Cumin Seeds: 1/4 tsp
- Mustard Seeds: ½ tsp
- Red Dry Chilli: 1-2
- Curry Leaves: 4-5 curry leaves
- Coriander leaves and salt to taste
Mix the curd and rice in a clean bowl. Then heat the oil in a pan and sauté the cumin seed, mustard seed, curry leaves, and red dry chillies. Add this to the curd rice mixture and then season with salt. Garnish it then with chopped coriander leaf.